Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The novelist's lament

Somewhere amid the swampy mangroves, Carl Hiaasen is shaking a copy of the newspaper and screaming, "See? SEE? I don't just make these things up!" John Scalzi has a lovely write-up of Florida legislator Bob Allen's latest out-of-left-field excuse for soliciting an undercover cop in a park restroom. I've heard of facing your fears, but walking into their bathroom stall to offer them a twenty and a real good time is new.

In news that won't cause a shudder of amused revulsion, however, "Stardust" comes out this weekend. If it doesn't make a huge splash, it certainly won't be for lack of Neil Gaiman's efforts, as he's been writing it up ceaselessly on his journal, doing the press junket slogging, and being smooched by Jonathan Ross promoting it at Comic Con. I like the Russian posters better than the American ones; mine Slavic brethren got genuine jokes, rather than a generic tagline. Witness Michelle Pfeiffer smirking beneath the words "Absolute Hag"; Tristan [sic--oh noes, they shot off his r!], Yvaine, and Captain Shakespeare, respectively, get "Star Warrior," "Superstar," and, for reasons made clear in the film, "Genuine Manly Man." I may come to like De Niro yet.

2 comments:

walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

I am, of course, totally psyched to see this. However, in the preview, when the guy says to Claire Danes, "So you're a star?" in my head she always replies with "Well, I really thought I would be one after My So Called Life, but then somehow it didn't happen. It's a good thing I got that Gap ad tho', my loft in Soho ain't cheap!"

3pennyjane said...

The only thing I'm sad about is that, because it's PG-13, they've had to cut Yvaine's first line in the book.