Tuesday, August 21, 2007

You will be assimilated

Dammit, I've been trying to resist the lure of cable TV. Sure, life without a regular "Daily Show" fix is clearly not worth the name, but the local cable and satellite providers are dreadful, I'm hanging on to my tiny ancient TV until the standards switch forces me to upgrade, and who needs to spend more time in front of the box anyway? Especially when there's an internet that needs tending. Hey, them kitties don't LOL themselves.

But how am I supposed to resist now that BBC America will be showing "Top Gear"? The lure of the Stig testing out cars that are as practical as six-inch platform heels and arguably a lot sexier (certainly a lot more fun), of celebrities trying to wrestle an economy sedan around a track, of hideous jokes about physics? How will I convince myself that it's not, in fact, educational and something I really need to be following? I might even find out why torque isn't cheap.

Slate's discussion of how TV is changing population models in rural India is timely, all things considered. On the one hand, it's great that electronic media are delivering more views of the options available in life. On the other...am I going to end up wanting a Maserati?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought that returning to our cable tv would be a return to paradise after fifteen months of broadcast television in Europe. However, I've found that there is absolutely nothing to watch on the basic cable package and that I am impatient during commercials. So now the question is whether to up the package to the next level and get a DVR that allows one to record shows and skip commercials or to only watch shows a season off when they are available on DVD or on iTunes.

3pennyjane said...

The DVR route sounds like the best option, since even DVDs take up space. Bitorrenting is the other good option, though I haven't yet tried it. I wish that there were a la carte programming, one channel that you could add all your shows. Picture it: The Veronica Mars/Joss Whedon/Doctor Who/Scrubs/Top Gear/Eurovision channel!