Monday, November 26, 2007

Cue the Gloria Gaynor

I and the grands survived the weekend intact, despite family aggro and the best efforts of a black Acura on the Beltway yesterday. Metro DC drivers are shite, something that's much clearer after a weekend in the company of Jersey's turnpike-hardened speedsters, and I would've finished out the weekend in a better mood had not that random dink nearly created a single crunchy unit of our separate vehicles. I could also have done without the primly censorious comment from my backseat passenger, who felt that cursing the air blue was not an appropriate reaction to a near-death experience. Oh tempora, o mores, cannot a woman be left in peace to work off an adrenaline surge with some fine Anglo-Saxon imprecations?

Random note: I do not want this shirt, but I'm happy that it exists. [H/T Cleolinda]

The Atlantic continues to tempt me with its evil tempty wiles. This time the editors have republished a weirdly contemporary 1957 article, "Sex and the College Girl." Worth a read, if only to further nail down the coffin lid over the idea that the 1950s were a pure asexual time when everyone knew their place and were happy about it. The dating culture described has changed some since the article first saw the light of day, but the intricate calculus around it still rings a bell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just got this email from Amtrak titled "Avoid the I-95 traffic, take the Auto Train."

In the email: "Give yourself the gift of time and book a trip to Orlando or the D.C. area on the Amtrak Auto Train. Take advantage of your unused vacation days to see the sights or visit your family and friends. With Auto Train, you can say goodbye I-95 traffic!

Bring your car or SUV with you aboard the Auto Train and you'll have your own trusted vehicle for getting around at your destination. Plus, everything you need from golf clubs to strollers can be packed inside your vehicle.


One-way coach fares start as low as $75 per person plus $147 for the car (based on roundtrip purchase). Kids 2-15 ride for half price."

3pennyjane said...

How's the Auto Train's track record for being on time? I've had bad luck with Amtrak between DC and anywhere but Philly. I would ordinarily take a bus on treks northward, but it's not ideal for elderly individuals with balance issues.

Traffic was pretty light for most of the trip, since we got out the door way early, so it wasn't a bad drive. One of my passengers needs frequent access to a restroom, due to past medical treatments, but wouldn't have been able to negotiate the facilities in a moving vehicle very well. We encountered the biggest crowds at the rest stations in Maryland, and I once again did not stop at Mike's Famous Harley-Davidson Bar and Restaurant Rest Stop. Someday.