Saturday, November 17, 2007

Gearing up for appetite

Chez La Mère and Il Padre, there are strong opinions about Thanksgiving, now of course shared by Seesterperson and yours truly. The most important thing is that the food has to be right: roast turkey, stuffing without weird shit like oysters, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry relish AND canned cranberry sauce in slices, a bowl of celery and olives (I came across a reference to a similar presentation in an Edith Wharton novel, so it was neat to hear that this particular item is something my mother picked up from her grandparents), some green beans. Extras are allowed but may not be encouraged to return, as was the case with creamed onions. Dessert is pie, with a choice of pumpkin, pecan, and sometimes sweet potato or, in a few grim years, mincemeat, and heaping dollops of homemade whipped cream flavored with a touch of Mexican vanilla. The drink of choice is Piper Brut. Anyone can propose a toast at any point, but the meal must begin with a toast before anyone starts sneaking olives or a stray crouton from the stuffing.

The culinary traditions are taken so seriously that we have had at least three do-overs. One year I was too sick to eat on the regular day, and life happened for a while after that, so come late winter La Mère went out and found a turkey and the rest of it and sat us all down to the meal because we were going to by God give some thanks, and none of us was disposed to say her nay. Two do-overs happened during years when we had traveled and been served subpar meals elsewhere (my godmother's third husband poured rum into the stuffing "to keep the turkey moist while it cooks!" and the bird tasted like it had died twitching at the DTs), and we all felt like the seams on our clothes were in the wrong places, bad feng shui of the holiday alimentary system or something, until we had the right version of the festal board.

And, of course, this is all completely normal. Like so many people, I didn't realize until fairly late that anyone else was so benighted as to mess with the clear recipe for success. Sure, there are the bizarre suggestions about things to do with turkeys from Gourmet and Martha Stewart and their ilk, but nobody took them seriously, right? It is a relief, therefore, to reread Tomato Nation's screed on Thanksgiving and the sacred nature thereof and to remember that it ain't the food, it's the family.

6 comments:

Spotted Sparrow said...

I have Thanksgiving envy. I hope yours is filled with yummy food and even yummier family.

Unknown said...

I've just learned the hard way that there are concepts such as 'budget' and 'process' in deciding Thanksgiving menus (no, not with the spouse). I'm trying to not be bitter and let it taint my Thanksgiving. It used to be much easier when I just typed up my menu, double checked the recipes, did the shopping, and then the cooking with a small cadre. Too many cooks . . . too many cooks.

3pennyjane said...

But...isn't spouse a help in the kitchen? I am all disillusioned if that's not the case.

Expat, best of wishes. If you need cranberry sauce shipped over, say the word.

Unknown said...

Spouse is the grocer, kitchen, chef, sous chef, and dishwasher. Yes, I fully acknowledge that I am blessedly spoiled. I speak of Others. I've stewed for half of day about the impositions of 'budget' and 'process' and now my tough marrow and tendons have softened with time. I do believe that I am now as amenable as the spicy beef noodle soup at Shanghai Joe's. I still have a bite and a kick, but the heat is pleasantly tolerable.

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to say I usually sneak an owb before the toast. Don' tell nobahdy! Ees a sikrit!

3pennyjane said...

No look at the owbs! Look at the cute!