Friday, November 23, 2007

Poniez update

I have been slack on updating in re: horsey excitement over the last week or so. One reason is that I was good and followed Serbian Doctor Lady's instructions about not horsing for the week following my embarrassment with Doc. I did watch the dressage class, but that was it. This week, though, I got back to my usual solo work with himself, and it was without any negative event. In keeping with the philosophy that life should involve making new and different mistakes, I was extra careful about checking the cinch. Our canter work made me a bit nervous at first, but we managed and I relaxed. I'm starting to focus on a lot of bending and turning work with Doc; it's good for him to get work on his flexibility, and it's good for me to work on having my legs placed correctly during turns. Dressage also went smoothly. I was startled anew at how small Cappi is (I can swing up onto him from the ground, which means that the other English students tease me for my cowpoke ways as they line up for the mounting block), and we went through the usual dance of me trying to find his barrel with my lower legs, but we got our timing down almost perfectly at the walk and trot; the canter we will leave until...um, at least mid-December, which is when Pat and I will be in town at the same time. In other barn news, Iosif and I stopped by the barn last weekend, and I was tickled to hear Doc whicker at me when I opened his stall. Then I remembered the bag of apples Iosif was carrying. Oh well--cupboard love is better than none.

No comments: