Monday, December 17, 2007

A lost art

The really interesting authors find the most fascinatin' books to read. BoingBoing points out that William Gibson, who is back on the blogging horse, has republished an excerpt describing a (mercifully short-lived) trend in the 1700s for wearing tin stomachs that simulated pregnancy. I get past the WTFness of that only to find a section quoting the author on how men in these corrupt modern days are dressing like teh wimmenz ("Master Molly has nothing to do but put on his frilly little bonnet and he will pass for a lady, except for his deplorable face").

Goodness! you think. I must find the original work for myself and seek its present wisdom! What might it be called? And that's when the really great bit starts, because it's "ye blockbufter that'f burning up ye top 10 lift!" and the title is to match: Satan's Harvest Home, or the present state of Whorecraft, Adultery, Fornication, Procuring, Sodomy, and the Game of Flatts, and other Satanic works, daily propagated in this good Protestant Kingdom.

2 comments:

The Goo said...

Re: this whole fertility business- I like to do the opposite of anything that makes me fertile, so tin stomachless I shall remain. I was thrilled when that study came out last week about the fertility diet and how if you wanna have babies, you should avoid refined starches, alcohol, sugary foods, etc. Soooooo... if I eat all the crap I wanna, I'll have no babies? Don't mind if I do!

3pennyjane said...

Who could have guessed that the Fritos-and-beer aisle is the secret home of birth control? I can't entirely dismiss the idea of wearing tin bellies, mostly because I think that you could make great bonging sounds on them.