Monday, January 14, 2008

Western science is so wonderful

Back in the saddle! The one that is evidence of intelligent design! The one that doesn't make you wake up the next day able to pinpoint your seat bones where they've tried to dig straight through your gluteii and escape! There are many fine things about the English saddle, but my God do you feel it after you've been in one for a while. When La Mère and I rode in Mexico, I was the only guest who chose to use a Western saddle. I was also the only one who did not develop literal saddle sores right in the seat bonular area. Coincidence? Hell no. Hurray for cowboy tack! Hurray for neck reins! Hurray for Western ponies! Oh magical horse list, who'd I get? Who'd I get?

Grayson. Dammit.

A free drink, geography permitting, to anyone who knows the source of the subject line.

5 comments:

4mastjack said...

My guess:

"Read this. Cordwainer Smith is timeless." —Terry Pratchett

3pennyjane said...

Did you know, or did you Google it?

3pennyjane said...

NB: edward has admitted to electronic assistance on this one. Has anyone read the story? It's cute. Not as good as other things by the same guy, but old-fashioned enough to be memorable.

4mastjack said...

Heck, I even admit that I had to Google to figure out that it was an AYB reference in Saturday's post.

But, no, I haven't ever read Cordwainer Smith. I did read "Dark Benediction" by Walter M. Miller, Jr. That's pretty close, isn't it?

3pennyjane said...

The only Miller I know I've read is Canticle, which Seesterperson and I read as sprats and which did NOT help with the overwhelming fear of nuclear annihilation[/tangent], so I can't say how DB might compare. Smith's writing is not religious in the conventional sense, although it touches on the supernatural and the things that can lead to the development of religions. And "Western Science" is more an affectionate joke than anything else.