Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tequila sunrise

Our last night in Austin, some of us make arrangements to go out to a Tex Mex place that one of our attendees recommended. It's just down the block from Allen's Boots, my personal den of temptation, and when we're told that it'll be a 30-minute wait, we take our buzzer and stroll into the store. I don't see the black boots of my dreams but am briefly tempted by a pair of Old Gringo boots in pale brown sueded leather touched with gilt. Old Gringos are for those with more money than sense, and I don't bother checking the price tag. The token Y-chrom falls in love with a pair of Ariats; the other X finds that Lucchese's last suits her perfectly. We are reluctant to leave, but the promise of a large dinner and post-meeting margaritas is too tempting.

The joint is jumping, but it's mostly an Anglo crowd, and the food is serviceable but nothing special. The margaritas, however, are excellent, available with all sorts of spendy tequilas, and between us we put away seven of them. When we leave, I find that my feet are a little farther away than usual, an effect familiar to fans of Lauriol Plaza, but otherwise we all feel good. We head to a bar in the hopping Warehouse District and trade stories over yet more drinks. I call it a night fairly early, pleading lightweightness in the boozing department. The other woman and I head back, leaving Y-chrom to lone-wolf off into the meat-markety night.

Apparently selective amnesia about my issues with tequila kicks in as soon as I'm looking at the drinks list, if this morning is anything to go by. I medicate with migas and hibiscus tea and pray for more sense in the future.

4 comments:

4mastjack said...

The missus and I sped up that whole dating thing and went straight on through to engagement because of those Lauriol Plaza margaritas. Oh, yeah, we know from them for certain.

Do you go with frozen or rocks? I get wicked bad thermo cranial neuralgia from them frozen ones.

3pennyjane said...

Tequila valentine, huh? I went with rocks. Frozen, you got the house brand, and I figured maybe the after-effects wouldn't be so noticeable with better tequila. Experiment proves otherwise. We learn (or, apparently, don't) through error.

Down on t'farm with t'fam, I have fallen under the spell of the newest abandoned road kitten, a grey and white charmer named Elf. My formerly purple shirt is now also grey and white, because Elf spent an hour shedding enthusiastically as I petted him. The things we tolerate for love.

4mastjack said...

Pleased that you're being smothered with affection, both familial and feline. Might young Elf come back east with you?

3pennyjane said...

Nah, he's going to stay here and control the varmintage. After life outdoors, a shift to an apartment would be unfair, plus the twins love him too much to let him go.