Monday, February 25, 2008

Time counts and keeps countin'

I came home from my week of ranchy self-indulgence (ah, the difference a single letter makes) to find a message from the barn letting me know that my lease with Doc is being suspended, effective immediately, for the foreseeable future on account of he needed more time off. Let's see, what's the word...peeved? miffed? ah yes: pissed. I was pissed.

But I took a couple of days and calmed down and didn't ask for details until I was sure that I could do it without flying off the handle, and now I've got an explanation that makes me sad but that I can't argue: Doc is getting old and stiff. Like most horses, he can't talk, so he expresses discomfort by misbehaving. The staff are readjusting his meds so that he'll be more comfortable, and he has a new pair of purple bell boots to help him not step on his own hooves (dignity be damned, though—he looks silly in sparkly violet), but I hope like hell that they're also looking for a comfortable retirement situation. Previous retirees have ended up with some pretty cushy billets; irascible but good-hearted Battle, f'rinstance, is living out his days as a practice pony for an equine massage therapist. We should all have it so good. In the meantime, Doc will have less work, and more of it will be slow. Fortunately, apples are not contraindicated.

At Western this week I got Heza, a cute but grouchy quarter horse who is infamous for ignoring any cues not filed exactly as per spec. Despite his pedantic tendencies, I like him; he's flexible and I've learned the hard way to respect his memory. A few months ago I tried him on a barrels course, doing a simple cloverleaf pattern. Sure, he's a former barrels pony, but how much would he really recall? Yes, the hominid, ostensibly the brains of the operation, somehow forgot that prey animals tend to have extremely precise long-term memories.

Teacherwoman sent us out to practice the pattern slowly at first. Heza's got a jackhammer trot, steady and a bit uncomfortable, so I was focusing mostly on my seat and looking for the line as he clopped steadily around the first barrel. Then the second. Then halfway around the third. And just as I was looking toward the gate, he dropped his inside shoulder almost far enough to pitch me sideways into the rusty oil barrel, bucked hard twice, and bolted for the imaginary chute. I got him back in hand (okay, so the fence did most of the work), swallowed my heart, and squeaked, "What was that? Did something bite him?"

"Ah," said Teacherwoman carefully. "He wants his head on the return, and you were still holding his mouth when he got around there, so he tried to ditch you. Try him again, still at the jog, but let him go on the third barrel. And, er, don't forget to pivot out your inside leg and grab that horn. Grabbing is fine in barrels." Which I did, and when we clopped steadily up to that third point he went around it like an oiled silk scarf and pelted home as I clung on and whooped. Arthritic and punctilious he may be, but he hasn't forgotten a damn thing.

He's good times. I vote we rent a cow and let him learn to cut.

6 comments:

The Goo said...

Blergh, sorry to hear about your baby.

3pennyjane said...

Aw, sanks. Doc's not on the verge of keeling over or anything, but I think that our fun speedy times may be over.
The barn's still got the first horse I rode there, and he was an old boy when I started six years ago. Bennie Fluff (I know, right?) carries the little kids and TR riders around very quietly and is generally treated as a huge teddy bear. He's gotten a little eccentric and now refuses to eat unless he thinks he's getting away with something. The barn staff drop his hay outside of his stall door so that he can be all shneaky-deaky about stealing it. It's caused several deaths from cute. I don't see Doc turning quite so mellow, but I wouldn't mind being surprised.

4mastjack said...

Loved this post a whole lot. Dazzlingly well said on your part. But then the addition of the links of the cloverleaf picture & the U of Mo Extension article added good things as well.

I read the post before you linked (or before I noticed the links anyway) and loved it, but I was having trouble visualizing along with the narrative. Now I think I see you better, going around that third barrel & pelting home.

Except I think I only vaguely get the cow-&-learning-to-cut reference. Or not. Is that as in cutting horse?

3pennyjane said...

Yes, cutting cattle. A lot of horses adore cutting; they get all snorty and pin their ears and will even bite if a cow doesn't move quickly enough (term of art: "eatin' beefsteak").
I sometimes forget that not everybody grew up seeing rodeos, so I initially forgot to add a link to the pattern. You can set up different barrels routines, but the cloverleaf is pretty standard.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that the Doc Chronicles won't be a regular feature any more. I hope that they find your old friend a great retirement gig.

3pennyjane said...

Me too also yes! And if anybody knows of a place in need of a chestnut QH with three white feet, a snip, a star, and a patch (for one LOW LOW PRICE!), give a shout.