Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Don't pull on that, you never know what it might be attached to

I'm taking a flyer tonight on a new course, a local university's "mini-med school" program, eight weeks of two-hour lectures for the surprisingly low price of a hundred bucks. Considering that the school in question is notoriously expensive and miserly as hell, that's a steal even for a course that doesn't grant credit. I am too squeamish for most medical programs, as vitreous humor–covered lab partners from my high school and college days can attest, but I'm fascinated by medicine and sick of feeling stupid around my association's members (it is no longer enough to be able to say macroglobulinemia without stumbling), so this sounds like it might be a good compromise. There doesn't seem to be any unifying theme to the program, indicating that the planners may have pulled whatever speakers were available and turned them loose, but the scattershot approach has the virtue of allowing us to cover a broad array of topics. Sickle cell anemia, diabetes, drug marketing, medical ethics...an interesting grab bag.

So that'll be Tuesdays, and Wednesdays will be dressage, and Thursdays, because we're finally inching out of winter, the barn will again offer Western classes. I am somewhat put out to find that this midweek block of edumacational goodness makes it tricky to get to the free gym during the week. Damn built-in excuses for being slack, as if I needed more of you! On the other hand, my office continues to offer lunchtime yoga on Tuesdays. Today, one of our staff fell asleep during the final relaxation; apparently this is not a new thing for him. Do you have any idea how hard it is to lie in corpse pose, thinking blissful glowing nonthoughts, while trying desperately not to giggle? Now that's a workout.

3 comments:

4mastjack said...

Hmm. You might be on to something. That trying-not-to-giggle sounds like some good core work. Better quick patent that idea.

As it happens, I was all fired up to go to that yoga class today. Got the mat and clothes here at the office at the ready. But then the meeting ran late, per usual. Hard to duck out when the consultants bill by the hour.

Word verification below is 'owhph.' Sounds like a core workout too.

3pennyjane said...

Whereas I would say that owhph describes the sound I made on Sunday when Heza nosed me hard in the pit of the stomach. Grouchy bastard (him not me).

4mastjack said...

Now I'm trying to come up with OWHPH as an acronym for your experience. It's turning into another one of those Jack Aubrey experiences where something seems to be eluding me, just out of reach.

Oh, who has pummeled her?
Our wondrous horse pony Heza?
Often when he plays havoc.
Out! We have people here!

Yeah, I don't really know what any of this means.


And now my word is 'edmrqc.' As in Ed, Mr. QC. Makes me think of that TV show Kavanaugh QC, which IMDB describes thus:

A crusty barrister oversees difficult criminal cases while dealing with the demands of his family life.

Sounds like I'm the grouchy bastard.