Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It has to be said

I love Jane Smiley in ways that cannot be textually rendered, even above and beyond her horse-world pieces (although if you haven't read Horse Heaven, you've got a treat in store). I mean, damn. "Bush and Cheney were hungry for war. Nothing they said could hide their eagerness. The story they put out, they had found out things, and they had explored all options, and now the invasion was a last resort, was evident bullshit. They never for one second had the demeanor of men who were thinking things over and weighing least bad options. They were hot to attack and impatient with anyone who stood in their way (the name Hans Blix springs to mind)."

The other bit of culture-conflict awesomeness, to which party I am fashionably late, is the flap about blogger/professor PZ Myers being banned from a free screening of a movie for which he had been interviewed and for which he was thanked in the credits. The topic of the movie? How intellectual dissent favoring intelligent design is—oh cruel!—being stifled on college campuses and how this is bad because it's important that everyone remember that belief in evolution leads to atheism and thence to the fall of civilization. And yes, the best way to demonstrate your commitment to free thought and open discussion of an issue is certainly to eject someone you know will disagree with you and whose interview you quotemined after getting it by misrepresenting your movie. But. BUT! While the movie's poobahs and their hired security did identify and bar Myers from the screening (for which he had registered under his own name, the foolish honest cephalopoidian creature), they let in Richard Dawkins. A grateful nation stands awestruck at this example of the difference between the fail simple and the fail EPIC.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw that thing about P.Z. Meyers. I admit that his ranting about religion and religious people has turned me off from him quite a bit, but oh man that whole thing was just funny.

(Let's not discuss that when I first came across his name a while ago I mixed him up with Poppy Z. Brite. I KNOW.)

3pennyjane said...

Okay, in re: Poppy Z. and Paul Z., THANK YOU. I thought it was just me (although wasn't there some foofaraw about PZB around the same time as PZM started getting major hit points?).

I too disagree with Myers about religious issues, and his frothing about faith won't necessarily win him friends...but seriously, he is 100% kee-rect on the education front. And like the nuts on top of the whipped cream on top of the hot fudge on top of the ice cream of this increasingly-making-me-hungry simile, the producers' changing stories about why they he got bounced and Dawkins didn't (he fought in the line! he gate-crashed! he haxxored our invitation site! we didn't want him anyway! we knew! we didn't know!) are just making this tale sweeter and sweeter.

Also, I love the Friday cephalopod. You could say I'm a sucker for it, but then I'd have to smack you over teh intarwebs.