Friday, April 11, 2008

Bitter experience?

I'm rereading The Citadel of the Autarch (which Wikipedia contends was once misprinted as The Castle of the Otter) and savoring, as always, the illusion that I will someday understand exactly what is going on in the story. In the meantime, I enjoy Severian's company. Damn but Gene Wolfe can write.
Since the time I had ridden Vodalus's charger out of Saltus, I had supposed in my innocence that all mounts might be divided into two sorts: the highbred and swift, and the cold-blooded and slow. The better, I thought, ran with the graceful ease, almost, of a coursing cat; the worse moved so tardily that it hardly mattered how they did it. It used to be a maxim of one of Thecla's tutors that all two-valued systems are false, and I discovered on that ride a new respect for him. My benefactor's mount belonged to that third class (which I have since discovered is fairly extensive) comprising those animals that outrace the birds but seem to run with legs of iron upon a road of stone. Men have numberless advantages over women and for that reason are rightly charged to protect them, yet there is one great one women may boast over men: No woman has ever had her organs of generation crushed between her own pelvis and the bony spine of one of these galloping brutes. That happened to me twenty or thirty times before we reined up, and when I slid over the crupper at last and leaped aside to dodge a kick, I was in no very good mood.

4 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Yes well let's get down to it with the ponies in this text:

"...all mounts might be divided into two sorts: the highbred and swift, and the cold-blooded and slow."

OK, false dichotomy right there. We know that ponies cross over this divide every day. And sometimes multiple times per day. So this author is...??? But I like the story anyway.

3pennyjane said...

Oh, the author is an Aggie, right enough, but he's correct that many people have heard of only two types. The "hooves of iron, road of stone" thing reminds me of Arabs, who, you know, LOVE, but also ow, lordy, the pain of that gait. (Also, the novel's set some unknown-X thousand years in the future, and he does suggest elsewhere that many creatures have continued to change, including the horse-analogs known as destriers. But the rest of it...hee, you can tell he's gotten seriously hurt on spiny ponies. As, and TMI alert, have I, despite my 100% natural-born girlness.)

Anonymous said...

*swoon* so good

3pennyjane said...

How many attempts did you need to make to get through it? I took at least three runs to finish the first book (Seesterperson prefers "There Are Doors"). "I threw my boots into the sea that I might not walk shod on holy ground," siiiiiigh.