Monday, April 7, 2008

You got the thorns, babe

So apparently I have no Elvis in my soul, because this weekend I found another country group to like. The Wrights don't even have the decency to call themselves alt-country, a face-saving genre label that allows the good urban child to pretend that she doesn't sometimes like a little steel guitar. Nope, they're the straight-up thing, although on Saturday they didn't have any backup, just their two guitars and voices, sounding less Opry-commercial and more bluesy, with a fine polish to their vocals. I missed the first part of their set, because c'mon, who shows up on time for the opening act? Oops. Be ye not so foolish. There are lots of love songs out there, but slow slinky call-and-response two-steps about the first year of marriage are thin on the ground.
(Him) You’re like some child always playin’ your games
(Her) And I never knew a man who could be so wrong
(Him) I’m warnin’ you honey if that’s your real name
(Her) You can call me whatever you want when I’m gone
(Both) We’re on the rocks
On the rocks

(Him) I don’t know why I made you my baby
(Her) Who you callin’ baby you made me your wife
(Him) Some best man he didn’t even try to save me
(Her) I can’t believe I gotta spend the rest of my life
(Both) On the rocks
On the rocks

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naughty blogger! Steaming up monitors without any warning like that. :-)

On the Rocks indeed: 'dem lyrics is some strong whiskey! Good thing for the guitar chaser.

Anonymous said...

who were they opening for?

I see they're back at the Birchmere in a couple of weeks. When I'm not at this board meeting I'll have to listen to the headliners to see if it's worth going.

3pennyjane said...

Fair enough, next time I post a note. "Not suitable for minors or star-gazers"?

The Wrights were opening for Last Train Home, who used to be a local band (their frontman, Eric Brace, used to write for the Post's Nightlife column) and who are now based in Nashville. LTH still come up here fairly often, usually to Iota but sometimes to the Barns. They're a great dance band, or would be if anyone could get DC audiences to move their feet.