Thursday, June 26, 2008

A day without a night

A week without a horse. Sniff! What with Pat being unavailable this week and Western suspended for the duration (dressage at least is usually in the shady indoors; Western in the outdoor rings plus DC's muggy haze is no fun), I have not been in the saddle in over a week. It begins to get worrisome. On the plus side, free Thursdays mean I can get over to a Food and Friends session or two, aka the most fun you can have while wearing a hairnet.

In apology for the lack of "and then we did a half-pass drill!" updates, herewith some Cappi photos from last week. Most of them aren't action shots, because dim light and no flash means slow shutter speed, which in turn means that all movements are ghostly and you cannot see the full horror of my heel position. Short Achilles tendons are not a rider's friends.

Not my typical leg position. Someone else does canter work; we observe. Cappi stretches out his back and I stretch out my legs. Breeches: most unflattering pants ever? Discuss. Secondary topic: awesomeness of half-chaps.

Toward the end of class, Cappi will go on the bit for a while. I lean forward too much when he does so, at least if this photo is typical. He looks very cute, though.


"You. With the camera. Make with the treats." Poor Cappi, forced to endure the horrors of grooming and modelposing while his supper sits unguarded.

[Thanks to 4mastjack for the pictures. Someday we'll do a session outside in the sun in decent weather...but that day is not this summer.]

3 comments:

4mastjack said...

No, thank you for inviting me. I really truly did have a swell time.

Plus you know I'm always dying to take pictures of you. And so here I had carte blanche to just snap away. Is why I ended up taking the two-hundred-some pix. And the movies. Low light be damned! Snap away!

And then, the icing on the cake, is you in those breeches. I will discuss. You may argue the con position; I'll definitely take the pro. But, even better, with boots, and riding crop no less. Be still my a-flutterin' heart.

Flying Lily said...

Down Jack! That whip is fully functional. :) Cappy is gorgeous - no wonder you enjoy him. You look like very suitable partners. He fills up your leg well and is so well proportioned. Pretty on the bit. 200 pictures plus movies? You have blog topics verily unto 2307 or so...

3pennyjane said...

Good heavens, people, don't go making me blush. But thanks for the compliments--I'll take Cappi an apple or two and tell him that he is much discussed by the blogerati. (One of the women in the class has taken to bringing licorice jellybeans for Grayson, and the other horses have developed a taste for them. I don't mind the smell of horse, but horse plus black jellybean seems unnatural. Apple-and-carrot breath, that's what a horse should have if he's being treated.)

I'm struck by how much Cappi looks like a QH in these pictures--something about that big roundy behind and stomach. Of course the teens trimmed his wavy mane a lot so that he wouldn't expire of vanity-induced heat exhaustion, and without it he does not look so Morganesque. In the first picture, too, I had to peer more closely, because the strap across his neck makes it looks as though I've entirely dropped the reins (and my wits). But no, it is only the strap of the martingale. Phew. Am not completely senile.