Monday, June 16, 2008

Regrets, I've had a few

  • That I live in some kind of power sink where the electricity spooks and goes out whenever an angel sneezes. Today, the storms passed over, the clouds blew away, the sun came back...and click, darkness was on the face of the waters.
  • That I did not have my camera with me this weekend, when DC's Pride Week celebrations collided with Project Anonymous' pirate-themed protests, leading to some seriously double-plus good people-watching here in the city khakis built.
  • That it did not occur to me, as I made this recipe, that I could use amaretto instead of almond extract. The latter have I none, the former I think everyone over the age of 18 is required to have a nearly-full bottle of gathering dust somewhere in their living space. In fairness, however, oh man are those muffins delicious even without the touch of cyanate.
  • That my jaunt to our northern neighbor coincides both with the Canadian dollar knocking the humble U.S. greenback below the parity line AND with Quebec City's 400th anniversary. Poor planning. But the outfitters promise lake-fresh trout and long canters on the beach (totes a pickup line on some sites), wonderful comforts to the spirit. (Also, you can ask for a "Canadian breed" horse, a critter of whose existence I was not aware. They sound Morgany, though, so what's not to like?)
  • That I left Fire from Heaven in G-Clef's car yesterday, in my haste to get the five people's worth of Burmese food and Jamaican ice cream we'd gotten for dinner into the house before the smell drove everyone mad. The Herodotus is good but needs to go by in smaller bites, not hour-long stretches. A moot point, should the power not come back soon. Cf point the first.

No comments: