Friday, August 22, 2008

Volume 3 of the whine list

Why is it that, two weeks in from a vacation that was physically exhausting but otherwise like a major press of the reset button, I already want another break? That would be a longish boring story, and bless all the people who have already harkened to the bitching and not told me to put a sock in it. Them's friends, y'all. I cope with stress by having fits, and now I will cope with the post-fit letdown by having a vodka tonic. Mm, quinineolicious. Aroint ye, Anopheles, I'm enough for you and your plasmodial baggage.

ANYWAY. Rambling. I got back together with Cappi this week for the first time in almost two weeks. Boy howdy did it show. He is usually so forward that I need to wear gloves if I don't want rein blisters, but this week just getting him moving took some solid oomph, and he continued sluggish for most of the lesson. Between the past few weeks with Smouti and Grayson, I've gotten all used to having a big horse to fill out my leg, and as mentioned many many times, Cappi is more petite (in a manly way, of course), and size makes a difference when you want to squeeze a horse forward. Then, too, we were working on haunches in, which plays hard to my weak spots and which he has no idea of how to do. He'll leg yield a treat, all, "oh we know how this one goes," but once he's bent in he has no idea what to do in response to outside leg pressure except go faster. Wethinks he needs some private lesson work, because as soon as he figures it out it'll only be a trick to stop him doing it—proud to show off is he—but for now I get an aching SI joint out of it and not much else. To be honest, though, this new trick of not sinking into the slough of despond when we don't get something right is in itself an accomplishment. It's been just over a year since I started dressage, chock full o' dubes and self-consciousness; the mental change is a huge tribute to the quality of instruction.

Pat is planning her new home, which will also have a barn nearby. Her husband spotted the designs and pointed out that it seemed excessive to have stabling for five horses when she only owns one. He's doomed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back from holiday. I enjoyed reading your Canada exploits.

Isn't it aroint?

3pennyjane said...

Dammit, yes it is. Lo, I hae made another typo.