Friday, October 3, 2008

Hearts full of youth, hearts full of truth

I made a terrible mistake last night at the VP debate watch party: I ordered my first Negroni, figuring that I like Campari, gin is good, and how bad can sweet vermouth be? Oh merciful Lord. Apparently the drink is an aperitif, meant to stimulate the appetite. One can only assume that that's another way of saying that this decoction o' dismay will make you so desperate for anything to take the hidz medicinal taste out of your mouth that anything remotely edible is guaranteed to get a rave review. I shuddered but decided not to send it back; I'd just chalk it up to experience and move on.

G-Clef and I found a spot at the bar and busted out our Palin bingo cards, sharing an extra with a larger group (judging by the shouts later, everyone agreed that it was a pity that you could only check off "maverick" once). Our adorable bartender, between his sprints up and down the bar, peered at the cards and burst out laughing; a later arrival raised his eyebrows at us and sagely observed that this must not be a Republican stronghold. Well, no. We grow canvassers for export.

The crowd kept reasonably quiet for the debate, and the addition of the bingo cards kept people from heckling Palin quite as loudly as they might otherwise have done. G-Clef got well ahead in the early running, but for some reason Palin wouldn't say "Pakistan," despite his muttered beseeching, and I hit a streak of luck. Meanwhile, the acid in my drink was eating away at my tastebuds, reducing my ability to notice how vile it was, and I absentmindedly drank the entire thing as the show wore on. Off the bailout, through the tax breaks, into foreign policy...and then it happened. She said "National Guard."

I got bingo.

And the bartender, smiling, rewarded me with another Negroni.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! I had the cards pulled up and ready to print, but in the rush to get the intertubes aligned properly for the viewing, forgot to print them. By the time we remembered, ten minutes had already passed. In the time span of Palin answers that is an eternity of missed opportunities.

I'm beginning to think that her flub on how she doesn't blame man's activities on climate changes is a deliberate ploy so that she doesn't have to say what she really believes.

3pennyjane said...

We played fairly strictly, so we got nowhere near a media blackout on the scores. I never got to check off "reformer," because while she touted McCain's efforts to reform DC, she never said the word itself. Likewise "bailout"--it was always a "rescue." Most vexing.

Is one of the characteristics of clinical narcissism a blindness to one's faults? Because damn. She's fookin' terrifyin' that way.

Unknown said...

A good read: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652

A better read:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick/print