Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hurled with great force

The stranger tides that govern all our base the Web are aligning with the Aerial Squash Fandago ley lines this year. Friends, relations, and by now total strangers know of my love for the Yankee Siege trebuchet, which is to my mind the most elegant of the Chunkin engines. Now the RSS feed coughs up not one but two Got Medieval posts on trebuchet-related marginalia in the Maciejowski Bible ("A fmafhing blockbufter of a texte," and yes I stole that joke from Good Omens).

I also wanted to post a link to MightyGodKing's fantastic take on fantasy novel covers—seeing a Mercedes Lackey novel retitled My Little Pony Goes to War set me howling—but it done got slashdotted by the hordes and is unavailable until MGK finds another provider. BoingBoing uses a retitling of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books (Asshole Leper Hero) as the teaser, setting off a fiery parry and riposte about the series dans les BB comments. I couldn't get past the first chapter of the first installment of that particular series, on account of it was hideously dull and badly written, so I'm indebted to the person who summed up the problems with Donaldson's work by quoting a single sentence: "The horses were almost prostrate upon their feet." I mean, that just ain't right.

2 comments:

4mastjack said...

Hurled with great force indeed.

I made it through a hundred odd pages of Lord Foul's Bane until some point where leper guy was ... up in the branches with some tree people? Do I remember that right? Some tree children were playing tag or something.

The girl was in merry pursuit of the boy, but he eluded her touch and darted around behind Covenant. From this covert, he shouted gleefully, "Safel Chase anotherl I am safe!" Without thinking, Covenant said, "He's safe."

I hurled the book across the room.

3pennyjane said...

Oh am I not the right person to quiz about SRD plot details; I remember the leprosy and that's it. But I did get through all of the original six (?) Elric novels, which MGK retitled Look! A Chaotic Good Hero! and he's not wrong. (Later Moorcock went into the endless Eternal Champion franchisees, but by the time I saw them on the shelves I'd gotten that particular strain of wangst out of my system.)