Tuesday, October 7, 2008

To my Shadow and Claw co-obsessives

There is no category of human activity in which the dead do not outnumber the living many times over. Most beautiful children are dead. Most soldiers, most cowards. The fairest women and the most learned men—all are dead....Who can say how intently they listen as we speak, or for what word?
Allow me to greet you on the day of the martyr Thecla (steady reppin' Old Calendar style). Reports of her life bear little resemblance to that of the Chatelaine's, which is a bit of a surprise considering that Wolfe used a very recognizable Catherine as the Guild's patron, but then the conventional St. Severian was a bishop and never climbed the Andes either, so maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

2 comments:

4mastjack said...

I love it when you talk geeky to me.

3pennyjane said...

I...don't know another way to talk, actually.
Saw a guy reading The Surgeon's Mate on the Metro this morning and was tempted to congratulate him on his taste. But being much hemmed in by the thronging multitudes, I read my own book instead.