Friday, November 21, 2008

Slave to the food meme

Ganked from MightyGodKing.com. Stuff I've tried is in bold.

1. Venison (not crazy about it)
2. Nettle tea (is it just me, or is this entry oddly specific?)
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare (and its sinful Korean equivalent, yook hwe)
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding (as well as morcilla, and to both of them I say: PLEH)
7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp
9. Borscht
(what, are we godless people?)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
(hail, oh Vietnamese soup, and again I say thee hail)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream (best at the motherlode)
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
(in their forms blue, straw, rasp, black, and salmon)
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche (of which too much is never enough)

28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float

36. Cognac with a fat cigar (on a particularly horrible day in December 1989, I made a vow never to smoke, so no cigars for me)
37. Clotted cream tea (thank you may I have another)
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (we're not counting accidentally inhaled ones, right?)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (BUT I AM OPEN TO OFFERS)
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin (I have limits, and this is one)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (cf. limits)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV (hail the Brickskeller)
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S'mores
(any two of the ingredients pair well, but squished all together, they leave me cold)

62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin (pica is for type and not diet)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs' legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (I'm not counting my addiction to down-home sopa de menudo)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (but of course)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost (two esoteric cheeses on the list and no deep-fried candy bar? lame)
75. Roadkill (that's taking terroir a leetle too seriously)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
(officially not on my list of good foods)
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (again, open to invitations)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash

88. Flowers
89. Horse (AGH!)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
(on multiple occasions, which is some sort of quality-of-life indicator)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor (lobster, bleargh)
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (rattle, to be specific)

5 comments:

Spotted Sparrow said...

We'll have to remedy this lack of currywurst situation. It's so bad that it's good - a bratwurst, cut into pieces, smothered in a ketchup-like, tomato-ish sauch with curry powder in it. I say ketchup-like and tomato-ish because I'm still not really sure what the hell is in that sauce.

3pennyjane said...

Ew. Can I have that and haggis on the same day, then spend the next day at the Michelin winner and wash the three-course meal down with venerable scotch? Because otherwise...ergh. And I realize that someone who has eaten NYC hot dogs can't really throw stones, but still. Consider that one chucked.

Flying Lily said...

Pho soup! Best dish ever invented by humans, anywhere. On my desert island, wish list item #1, could live upon for many decades. But I can't make it at home for some reason.

Unknown said...

You've had all this, but never had clam chowder in a sourdough bowl? I think I've had that by *accident.* Hee.

And now, I feel a meme coming on myself...

3pennyjane said...

I've found soup in a bread bowl better as a concept than as a fact. This too, IMO, could've been set aside for worthy weirdnesses like the aforementioned fried candy bar.

Mm, meeeeemes.