Thursday, January 29, 2009

I've just come from the land of the sun

Today's fecal roster includes a certain U$ Airways, which has decided that the way to make back all the money they're losing is to charge passengers for all soft drinks, including water. This decision is violently unpopular, idiotic from a preventing-DVT-related-lawsuits perspective, and otherwise profoundly pound foolish. I am a grouchy flyer at the best of times, especially now that age and abuse have given me SI issues that make cramped seating a real problem, and when I have (a) gotten up at 4:00 AM to get to the airport, (b) been sat on the runway for two hours listening to drills judder into the undercarriage of the plane so that the mechanics can get at the computers for the rudder (don't get me wrong, I really want the steering to work, but two extra hours is a literal pain in my ass), and (c) missed the pay coffee service, I am a perfect storm of inner snarl.

However, Phoenix is lovely and warm, my flophouse includes an en-suite teddy bear, and I may even get up for the Pilates class tomorrow at 8 AM, since the studio is one long stretch of bay windows overlooking the red rocks that poke out of the city here and there. This act of contrition would help mitigate my sin of intent, the room service menu's "pancake napoleon": macademia nut pancakes interleaved with caramelized bananas and fruit compote. Yes please, I will take five.

[Update: After muzzily thinking through the timing, I skipped the pancake blitz in favor of relative frugality: yogurt, fruit, and a bagel. (The pancakes can be on Sunday morning.) The Pilates class was beautiful, not nearly as painful as the ones at Big Sexy Gym, and if every workout promised sightings of rabbits nibbling the brush just outside the windows, I'd be in much better shape. It was a little awkward later running into some of the conference attendees who had also attended the class; I try to present myself a certain way at work, and it does not involve a tanktop and workout pants. On the upside, hey! Conversational topic.]

5 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Let's see: five napoleonic pancakes = 486,000 Pilates classes. Doable! Tuck in.

3pennyjane said...

The lesson here is that a wise woman does not read the room service menu, she takes the high road of health. Perhaps someday I will meet this woman; history suggests that I will never follow in her path.

Unknown said...

Just had a similar experience with US Airways on flight back from D.C. to N.Y. Heard lots of horror stories from the lady next to me who had been at the airport for many hours and had been sent to the wrong gate. Consulted with a few family members who agreed that it's such a sheetay experience that two of us have foresworn the airline.

Would recommend purchasing a bottle of water, or two, before boarding. It sucks, but it's better than going thirsty.

More than thirst or DVT I fear the prospect of a flight with no working toilet. Apparently it is not illegal to fly with no working toilet.

3pennyjane said...

Most of the time I bring an empty bottle and fill it at a public fountain once I'm through the rites of TSA, but thanks to the aforesaid 4 AM wakeup call and my need to wrangle wheelie bag, computer bag, purse, helmet, and glubs, it was a casualty this time.

I plan to write to US to tell them why they've lost my bidness; maybe they'll mend their ways. Maybe they'll buy their CEO a jet.

If I go to bed soon, maybe the pancake napoleon fairy will get here sooner. Glingle glingle glingle!

Unknown said...

Even the Hudson River Survivors are angry at U.S. Airways.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/30/hudson-crash-survivors-an_n_162604.html