Thursday, April 16, 2009

Winning the lottery

Genetics are less of a crapshoot when there's evidence suggesting that you were cloned in your mother's basement lab. Long story short, my first-ever cholesterol check (I know, I know, save your nagging) came up super-bueno, despite my marked carnivorous tendencies and slackerly exercise ways. Apparently this is a trait on La Mère's side of the family, and it's true that the women on that half of the tree tend to live long lives while never giving up their steak habits. Maybe the LDL piggybacks onto scotch molecules that are moving toward the liver.

The mini-med lecture this week was on cardiac health and tipped me off to the online Framingham calculator. If the math is right, my chance of a stroke or heart attack in the next 10 years is below 1%. Celebratory Squeez-Bacon for all!

2 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Good on you for the cholesterol ##s in light of your SqueezeBacon addiction. :) I live in the land of cheese so I fear these cholesterol judgments. I am always searching for an antidote to cheese: spirulina? Minerals? Ground flaxseed? Anything but giving it up....

3pennyjane said...

I hear that oatmeal goes a long way for that, but not if you pour whole milk on it (which I did today, because it is delicious and because it is my heart). Giving up cheese is not an option, not if we want to support Seesterperson's forthcoming restaurant venture, Cheezonit.