Friday, May 1, 2009

But the red mare played with the snaffle bars as a lady plays with a glove

"So is that Zeus you're on?"
"Nope, this is Bill."
"It's not Zeus?"
"Er, no. It's Bill."
"But you rode Zeus last week. Isn't that Zeus?"
OH MY WANING PATIENCE. "No, it is not Zeus. It is still Bill."
"Oh. Well, I thought it was Zeus."

As may be surmisable, Teddy Bear Bill, my partner for the week, and Zeus, from last week, are both smallish copper horses, but they are by no means twins, and also I was not in the most patient mood. Bill and I got off to a zippy start: I got on carrying my crop, at which point he started running swiftly along the walls, refusing to stop or even slow down until I dropped it. He stayed quick for most of the hour, and, as usual with school horses who are new to dressage under a beginning rider, any leg pressure translated to fast-go-fast, as did the presence of another horse's butt in front of him or any insecurity in my seat. Riding horses like this has the virtue of showing me how much progress Lear has made in the last year. We did better at the sitting trot, though my erector spinae muscles went plink a few times (aging sucks), and it turns out that Bill's got a fantastic canter, an easy fast rocking gait that's both exhilirating and relaxing. "Too much fun!" yelled Pat. "You are having too much fun!" Guilty, guilty, guilty. Bill's another pony who could do with less grain, but while his small barrel makes him a challenge for the long-legged among us, he's not a chore as a partner.

Pat contributed to the gaiety of nations by riding the entire class on a boarder's paint pony, who careful study shows is short in the legs and chubby in the body. Her flash colors and perfectly trimmed mane and tail (there is no equivalent to the love a thirteen-year-old girl will lavish on a horse of her very own, even if sometimes that means a horse has to wear a pink halter with green Izod gators on it) hide the disproportion pretty well until you see her in motion. Having Pat on horseback meant keeping track of another set of hooves and personalities, but it's always instructive to watch a good rider, even when she's on an undertrained horse.

Lear continues to be de vacaciones, and with luck he'll come back next week without further disorder to his his tendons. Life caught me up and I didn't mention it at the time, but during our last session together two weeks ago, he started stumbling in an odd way: We'd be going along smooth as paint, and suddenly his left hind would fail and it would feel as though his rear end had dropped out from under me. It got worse as class went on, especially at the trot; the idea of it happening at the canter brought me out in a fine sweat. Toward the end of class, after a particularly bad slip, we just went into the center and watched everyone else work. I couldn't find heat or swelling in his legs afterward, which is not to say it wasn't there, and we referred it to the front desk for vet follow-up. According to them, some swelling did show up the next day, but they're not sure what the injury was. Yeesh, horses are fragile things.

Speaking of fragile ponies, though, the Post reports that I Want Revenge's trainer is apparently an unrepentant doper. Count down another year when I skip the Crown.

9 comments:

4mastjack said...

Did you post, then un-post, this post earlier today? I got it, then lost it, then got it again in my RSS.

(My Turing word below is: poomp.)

3pennyjane said...

Busted.

Anonymous said...

but it was Zeus, right? :)

3pennyjane said...

SWEET ROLLS!. My patience at an ebb.

Anonymous said...

Well then I'll have a tea and sweet roll, no worries. also, you're where at the moment?

Anonymous said...

oh and forget that, i forgot you're having a Mexifaux day.

3pennyjane said...

Lazy layabout-hood suits me, it really does.

Anonymous said...

suits me too. did it all day yesterday. these rainy spring days are designed for it.

3pennyjane said...

I went out yesterday specifically to get more of that cracktacular Clear Spring Creamery milk. The owner was standing under the tent with several very sweet preteen kids (his, I assume, by their attitudes) and shivering a little.
"How are you guys doing?"
"Um, honestly?"
"If it's any comfort, the only reason I'm out is because your stuff is addictive."
"That does help; we really want people to start making us part of their routine."
On the way home, I realized that the average Takoma customer would go bazoo for CSC's style of animal husbadry--rotated pasturing, once- rather than twice-daily milking, hormone-free feeding, limited grain--and may drop them a line suggesting that they print up flyers about it. This is all self-interest talking; the idea that I wouldn't be able to get their milk on a regular basis conturbat me deeply.