Monday, April 2, 2007

Why don't these oysters have shells?

Things I did for fun this weekend:
  • Drove through Gates Pass, occasionally whooping to myself over the more dramatic dips and twists. Then I decided that it was so much fun that I did went back and did it again, with a break to watch the sunset and moonrise from Saguaro National Park. I also decided that the bicyclists who take the pass are freaky masochists. Nice legs though.
  • Rode horseback through the Sonoran desert until a lot of my bits were sore and/or chafed. Which is absolutely not your fault, Snip, and thank you for handling those insane slopes without making me want to cry. Also thank you for not running yourself into a barrel cactus and dooming yourself to euthanasia because the hook-shaped spines would work their way inward and ruin your joints, a new and exciting thing our guide taught me to worry about.
  • Got up before the sun to tack up and ride out to round up cattle and then help body-slam the calves and hold them down for vaccinations, ear tags, and the ever-popular branding. For interesting times, I cannot but recommend leaning your entire body weight on a highly agitated cow while someone wielding hot pieces of rebar tries to sear it and not you. Before I do that again, some serious weight training is in order. Likewise some serious weight gain, because inertia is your friend when you're tackling a panicked bovine.
  • Remembered yet again that even inexpensive beer is nectar when you're hot and covered with dust.
Things I did not do this weekend:
  • Lose any teeth to kicks from adrenaline-filled calves. Danny said that someone got whacked in the face last year and hasn't been back since. Wuss. But telling us that story ensured that we were all careful about leaning back whenever we let go of a calf.
  • Find the missing clues for finding the Jesuit treasure that, according to legend, is buried not far from Peck Canyon. Personally, I think this sounds a little too much like the Lost Dutchman's Gold thing from the Superstition Mountains and that Arizonans have hit on a nifty way to get rid of irritating members of society. "There's gold in them thar hills. Follow these incredibly vague clues about lining up the Needle's Eye with the cross carved on the wall that we can't find, and don't come back. I mean, don't come back until you find it."
  • Wind up kissing any of the following: the ground, ocotillo, cholla, mesquite (a glancing smooch from the saddle doesn't count, though my t-shirt begs to differ), prickly pear, or barrel cactus. Damn but Arizona is home to some pointy flora. As for the fauna, I was reminded of the confession in A Canticle for Liebowitz: "Bless me, Father, I ate a lizard."
  • Eat prairie oysters, Montana tendergroins, Rocky Mountain oysters, cowboy caviar, or anything else made of calf testicles, despite assurances from one of the other guests that they are delicious as part of an asado. Since Danny doesn't castrate his calves, preferring to let them get big and ornery so he can sell them for rodeo work, we would've had to make a special trip. I cannot say that I am disappointed.


6 comments:

walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

Did you target any whomprats? Whomp whomp! I'm glad you didn't have to castrate any cows. The branding sounds tuff enuff. My seester the cowgirl!

3pennyjane said...

Nah, these calves weren't even two meters. I mostly wasn't much help with the wrangling, but I only got yelled at twice: once for not getting on the rope fast enough and once for not diving off Snip to rassle the enormous black bull that charged us. I told Danny that I didn't want to make the guys feel self-conscious about having a lil gurl take it down.

Unknown said...

Glad you were not hot-rebarred during your cowgirl turn. I have been wonderin, what would be worse: any form of oysters of the testicular kind or any form of andouillette, a French sausage made from stomach and colon of animals? A french friend who hates andouillette said that one of the main ingredients is feces. The wiki says that the feces-like aroma is just the colon. We have still not figured out why when andouillette is on the menu it is often labeled AAAAA. What would AAAA andouillette be? (For all you folks out there who think you've never eaten feces, if you've ever eaten shrimp, or any kind of meat, chances are, you have).

Having had andouillette twice now (and no, I do not personally think it smells like feces because I would not have been able to eat it otherwise), once accidentally, and the second time because it was part of the formule of a favorite bistro, I doubt I will have it again. Still, as another friend pointed out, what really is the difference between an andouillette and any other sausage? One is just labeled more honestly.

3pennyjane said...

I can't help you with the andouillette question--I would probably at least try it. Of couse, two years back I tried escargot, which may be a taste sensation, but I couldn't get past the fact that I had a slug in my mouth and was going to have to chew it. Suddenly I had more sympathy for an Ethiopian friend who turned pale whenever people around her ordered shrimp; to her it was just a boiled bug. Food taboos, fascinating things.

Unknown said...

I just had escargot for the first time last year and it tasted like mushroom stems in a bath of butter and garlic and salt. Not much flavor. Lots of chewy texture.

Anonymous said...

Hiya! No interesting comments about escargots or andouillette to share. Sorry. 1 piece of advice though: I recommend *against* spicy Spanish sausage sandwich as midnight snack when on overnight train from Barcelona to Heidelberg, especially if one is sunburnt after sangria-drenched weekend spent in city & at topless beach. Errr, yeah. Good thing this is anonymous, huh? These here interwebs are sumpin' else.