Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mind games with the innocent civilians

New York is cooler than DC again some more. I've been fond of the wicked people of Improv Everywhere since they hosted a book signing by hot new author Anton Chekov, and their original no-pants subway ride is the stuff of legend. These days it's an annual tradition up there, like Pamplona's running of the bulls but less stupidly risky. (Of course the people who did it in DC notified the cops and the media first, because we are overcautious nerdlingers in a largely humorless city that's patrolled by bored security personnel, a combo that plays merry hell with comedic spontaneity.)

A lot of what IE's done in the last few years has been cute but a little silly, like the time that they set off masses of cell phones in the Strand or practiced for synchronized swimming in a public fountain. But there's some kind of Sturgeon's Law at work, because their Grand Central piece is genius, beautiful, strange, the kind of thing that people who say, "I don't understand art, but I know what I like," would probably agree is art, because what else would you call it? And I bet they'd like it, too.



H/T Making Light, as usual.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. I was just there last week and noticed the hordes of men in black with white ear pieces and uniformed army folk with machine guns. It's nice to see that none of them went into action.

3pennyjane said...

Speaking of nerdliness, I watched most of the "American Experience" ep about the building of Grand Central. That show owns my soul on a regular basis. The evolution of NYC's infrastructure--who knew it could be so fascinating?

Anonymous said...

I really wish I'd seen that!

Speaking of NYC infrastructure, the History Channel has a nifty series called Underground Cities, and the one on New York is fascinating.

Hi!

3pennyjane said...

And of course I then have to mention Forgotten New York, which is fascinating.