Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Throw me something, mister!



Most years I get hellaciously tired of hearing political analysis around Super Tuesday, because geez, y'all, the election is months away. But this year I have been swept up in the pan-Washington conversation, to the desperate point of even watching coverage while I was in Seattle. The DC metro area is pretty solidly blue, and the people who live and work here resent the hell out of the current crop of venal incompetents and their toadies. They in turn cause us as much inconvenience as possible in making sure that they never have to meet our gazes. Good business for the strip clubs, a depressing pain in the ass for the rest of us. That's not even getting into their policies, because what do you want, for me to get all grimmed out and whiny?

But while I'm not going to do much trenchant political analysis here, I'll go ahead and share my fantasy, which is Obama Obama Obama, possibly with Edwards (who would've been my first choice, sniff) for veep or at least AG. But the Dems could nominate anyone over the age limit and I would vote for him or her, because a choice between anybody Democratic and the bizarrely inconsistent McCain or the just plain freaky Romney (ignoring Huckabee and Ron Paul, because HA HA HA HA HA, don't scare me like that again) is not what you might call difficult. But a lot of other people would come out to vote against Hillary, not to mention try to roadblock everything she does just because she's who she is, and I want this election and its results to be so decisive that it takes the GOP at least a decade to recover. God knows it'll take us longer to deal with the deficits, the effects of our idiocy in Iraq, the erosions in domestic civil freedom, the cutbacks in health care, the damage to women's rights in particular, and so on ad nauseam.

Of course all this is being said better on ML, as it so often is (grumble mutter, professional writers mumble): "So I’m supporting Obama and his train...just as a peasant might cheer for an aristocratic faction made up of reasonably decent individuals against other factions made up of out-and-out thugs. Not because the peasant doesn’t know the game is rigged, or doesn’t have the wit to imagine a better world. But because incremental change matters, and because the right incremental changes can lead, like water flowing downhill, to bigger and more profound ones. Also, while I am a radical in analysis, I am an incrementalist in practice, because life is short."

Vote, y'all.

No comments: