Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Another knight of the Golden Age

RIP Arthur C. Clarke. I didn't read much of his stuff when I was hoovering up SF stories with the usual preadolescent enthusiasm, and I never cracked 2001, but damn if "The Nine Billion Names of God" doesn't have one of the most elegant closes of any short story ever. It was the kind of story that stuck in your mind, rousing echoes years later—"Hey, do you remember a story where, like, monks are trying to recite the names of God? And they hire a pair of engineers? Or am I making that up?" "No, yeah. It was next to 'Nightfall' in an anthology I had." "Oh right, the one about the planet with all the suns?" "And the fire? Right!" Then of course the corrupt president of Earth in "Babylon 5" was named Arthur Clarke, as part of Harlan Ellison's not-at-all-subtle series of references to classic authors (the evil leader of the telepaths was named Alfred Bester, and there was at least one other name dropped with the grace of a neon-green anvil). Dying at 90 in your tropical paradise doesn't sound like a bad way to go. [ETA from comments: Serialkarma's father called her last night to say, "I thought you would want to know that Arthur C. Clarke died tomorrow." Which, like Making Light's contribution, is a fine and proper epitaph.]

Dang, with all the excitement about Pi Day and going to see the National Geographic's amazing frog exhibit (waxy monkey frogs! Chinese gliding frogs! frogs by Leonardo, frogs from Mars!), I missed writing up the one event I wish I'd stayed in Texas to see: Bandera's Wild Hog Explosion. Hogs are an invasive species and do all kinds of damage, so there's very little love lost for them among country people, but the creatures are smart and dangerous enough that hunters treat them with a certain respect. None of which, it must be admitted, is evident in the idea of wrassling a squirming pig into a burlap bag, but at a guess the ensuing hijinks would be worth the visit. Add a beer and a Frito pie, and that right there is a good date.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dad called me last night around 8 and said "I thought you would want to know that Arthur C. Clarke died tomorrow."

Dad's smugness at his own wit aside (*sigh*), I couldn't help thinking that was one of the more appropriate epitaphs for the man.

Hi!

3pennyjane said...

That actually really is! Mind if I add it to the main post?
Hi! I can has NYC trip plz?

Unknown said...

I just saw your comment! Your response didn't get emailed to me like last time, dagnabbit. But anyway, yes, be my guest and add it to the main post, if you like.

And yes! you can plz haz NY trip! (I can haz get out of NY trip, plz?)

3pennyjane said...

Come to DC! We have frogs, and Stephen Colbert's portrait, and semi-decent weather! You know you wanna.
I, uh, kinda went ahead and added the comment. Bad blogger. No donut!

Unknown said...

that's okay! I, uh, didn't even re-read the original post before responding to your comment.

I am trying to plan a DC trip for sometime in April or May, and I will let you know that can haz happenings (I think even LOLcat grammar has failed me there). If not, then definitely this summer, swampy atmosphere be damned.

3pennyjane said...

But...but...Colbert is here only through the end of the month! What would you do without it?

Maaaany catchings-up to do. I'll try to get up yourwards soonish; among other things, Weebat and Herr Professor are now sharing their space with a fourth person, whom I would very much like to meet, and I haven't had good pignioli in ages.