Thursday, April 24, 2008

Get off my lawn!

One of my coworkers has done gone insane decided to do the National Triathlon, in collaboration with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. Which means that she's going to swim in the actual Potomac River. Freely and of her own volition, she's going in that water, and she doesn't even get to keep the money. Talk about going above and beyond.

I'm impressed by her resolve and I have a dog or two in the fight to cure blood cancers, so I'm asking people to visit her page and consider adding a few dollars to the jar. Help Tiffanie fight the good fight!

4 comments:

4mastjack said...

We used to play volleyball in Founders Park, down by the river there in ye old town Alexandria. Was back in 1984, 1985. This one time somebody knocked the ball way out of bounds, and it went bounding down the rocks and into the river. I waded in after it.

Had to muck through shin-deep mud about twenty feet out to get to the ball floating away. Rescued it though, the ball, and we continued our game.

Have I told you this story before?

But, lordy, I caught some sort of fungus from that mud. Something evil. Nothing you could see or feel, but my feet stank oh so unholy rank so terribly bad. For a couple of years. I used to wash my feet with alcohol when I got home from work, and that'd help for a couple of hours. But then the smell would wake my girlfriend from a sound sleep in the middle of the night.

Nowadays I suppose I'd go to the doctor. Didn't have much in the way of health insurance back then. Or sense.

Ammen's Medicated Foot Powder finally did the trick, a couple months' use of it anyway, to clear up whatever it was. I'd fill up my shoes with it. Leave white footprints if I walked around in my socks.

The lesson in all of this is to never, ever go near the Potomac. Right?

3pennyjane said...

I'm pretty sure we'd have heard if the previous triathlon's competitors had been beset by chronic funk. The river's gotten a lot better since the 1970s and 1980s, although I would still be leery of anything downstream of Blue Plains. (Who am I kidding. I've swum in that part of the river, although not after a rain. And I still wouldn't knowingly eat Potomac fish.)

Suga T said...

Kids! Focus! I need to raise some money!

3pennyjane said...

You fundraising types are sooooo materialistic!