Friday, February 6, 2009

Traveler's advice

Learn the following phrases in the local lingo:


That is my companion. It is not intended as a tip.

I will call the manager.

This cannot be my room because I cannot breathe ammonia.

I will be most comfortable between the temperatures of 290 and 303 degrees Kelvin.

Madam, this bed/nest is alive.



Further useful phrases are available, of course, through the miracle of the intertubes.

Right now the most useful thing I've got going for me is rusty but decently accented Spanish. I don't think I've sold anyone my aunt's neighbor's goat, but you never know until an agitated would-be customer shows up in her yard.

2 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Are these meatballs? My shirt is able to eat meatballs on Saturday. Is this the orange juice of my room? It is for tennis. Thank you, I am very sad 3 minutes from now.

3pennyjane said...

Your cognate is false, false I say. Where is the nude beach? My tape-player is broken.

I was not prepared to fly out on the same day as the passengers from at least 5 cruise ships. Self-immersion in the Sunday NYT as a palliative measure forestalled the worst of the misanthropy, which is not to say that there was no inner grousing. The Norwegian bachelor farmers are my soul's brothers.