Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hallowed day of the sciences

Tis Pi Day! Do celebratory math or make decadent pastry that involves triangles, approximately spheroid fruit, and the one original ichor of the science gods who govern undergraduate life.

In unrelated news, I'm going to try to process the ideas that (a) Ridley Scott is doing a Robin Hood movie; (b) Russell Crowe will be stepping into the title role, following in the eminent footsteps of Kevin Costner; (c) Scott has cast a genuine musician as Alan-a-Dale; and (d) it's actually kind of a perfect casting choice: Alan Doyle, from Newfoundland's Great Big Sea. I first saw the band at Iota, which holds 50 people on a good day, and these days they sell out the Lisner, so I've followed them for a goodly bit of time, and I'm pleased to see them getting more recognition than the thirty-second looped hack job in "The Shipping News" (which, okay, I love me some Judi Dench rocking the peculiar NF accent, but Kevin Spacey needs a smacking). Hurrah for local boys making good, or at least making it to the screen.

2 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Be still my heart. Russell Crowe as Robin Hood? We were just talking the other day about how much damage Kevin Costner did to a good idea: Rob the rich and parties for poor folks. I know RC will put the shine back on this concept -- for the good of all.

3pennyjane said...

I've got mixed feeling about RC, but hot damn was he excellent as Jack Aubrey. And I've had a great fondness for Doyle ever since the first time I saw GBS; he throws his entire heart into each show.

THe only thing that tweaks me is that when I hear Ridley Scott, I still think Aliens. Cognitive dissonance.