Monday, July 16, 2007

Delicious evil

I never read the Dark is Rising books, so when I saw the preview for the movie I wasn't particularly enthusiastic. Young boy who feels like an outcast, sudden portents, he manifests special powers, he is invited to a world of adventures where they've been waiting and pining for him to show up, yeesh this rings a bell. Oh, wait, got it: Books of Magic. Defend the light, ya puir wee little preadolescent.

But then things look up a bit, because in this corner, your obligatory British Isles RSC-trained hottie representing the forces o' darkness: CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON, snarling threats from the back of a rearing horse. Good heavens, y'all, moral relativism is suddenly so magnetic that I may have the vapors.

Speaking of the dark side, though, join me in a long slow eyeroll at the latest limp attempt at a pop culture critical backlash: the WaPo's Ron Charles whines that Harry Potter is symptomatic of the death of reading. Yes, whenever you see lines forming around the block for the release of a novel, or people waiting four hours to get an author's autograph, or an explosion of decent suburban bookstores (I can't be the only one with dire memories of Crown Books), it's a dead giveaway that everyone hates reading.

I have limited tolerance for the gadfly school of criticism at the best of times; I have even less patience when it comes from someone who works on the same paper as Michael Dirda, an erudite, humane, elegant writer and a sterling example of how a critic can be both enthusiastic and expressive enough to encourage other people to explore the field.* Charles, on the other hand, wails that no Harry Potter fans read Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrell (news to me, Susannah Clarke, and Bloomsbury) or His Dark Materials (because small underappreciated novels are forever getting made into huge movies), then he sneers at adults who enjoy children's books, people who read mainly nonfiction (somewhere Jane Austen is clutching the manuscript of Northanger Abbey and dabbing away a genteel tear of laughter), and anybody who cracks a heavyweight like Anna Karenina after Oprah has the gall to suggest that suburban moms give it a try. He wraps up with a paragraph so magnificently prat-tastic that it qualifies for its own Threadless "I listen to bands that don't even exist yet" shirt. To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, this is not criticism to be tossed aside lightly; it should be hurled away with great force.

Most of us know that the Harry Potter books aren't great art. There's nothing wrong with not liking them or not finding them engaging or in rolling your eyes a bit at people who get really invested in them. But the problem with arguing that they're bad for cultural literacy as a whole is that the books are getting a reaction, generating sales of other genre books and spinoffs (as did Lord of the Rings, which many critics whined about at exactly the same pitch), and getting more people involved in Rowling's world. If you don't like the enthusiasm and bad dancing at the party, Mr. Charles, either invite people to a better one or keep your mouth shut; peeing in the lemonade and stomping off in a haze of critical acumen (mm, smells like Axe!) will never make you cool.


*Yes I have a litcrush on Dirda. Don't make me papercut anybody.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the Dark is Rising novels as a child and reread them every couple of years. The series is a sibling to Lloyd Alexander's.

3pennyjane said...

Somehow I never even saw them. Wacky. Anyway, if you've read the books, you probably already know what the trailer informed the audience: "The Rider [portentous pause] serves the Dark." Dun dun DUN! Or possibly, "FanTAStic!"

Renpup said...

Oooh, I JUST finished reading The Dark is Rising series for the first time (I'm not sure what rock I've been living under) and then found out about the movies. I'm ka-raaaazy excited!

And that's news to me as well that Harry Potter fans don't read Susana Clark or His Dark Materials. I almost wet myself when I saw the preview for The Golden Compass before Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Don't tell me movie studios don't know their audience.

3pennyjane said...

Aw, I was rooting for a Golden Compass preview too, but we got Stardust instead, which, wait, that was good. Scary Michelle Pfeiffer FTW!

I remember a lot of this type of high-falutin' bitching and moaning when the Lord of the Rings movies came out. The criticism smacks of old-fashioned nerd baiting, which is hilarious given how much more likely we are to be enthusiastic readers overall.

walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

What do you bait a nerd with?

Also, I quite enjoy your criticism of critics. Mahvelous!

Unknown said...

In my unscientific perusal of children's book sections, I find that the non-American ones are better stocked with the like of Susan Cooper, Diana Wynne Jones, and (a discovery in London) the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve.

Unknown said...

Seems a trend:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/07/harry_potters_big_con_is_the_p.html

3pennyjane said...

I don't remember going short of fantasy novels as a kid; certainly the local library had lots of Madeleine L'Engle, Ursula K. LeGuin, Robert Heinlein, Edith Nesbit, Roald Dahl, and Tamora Pierce novels. I can't figure out why The Dark is Rising wouldn't have been there.

Personally, I find that an opening slam on the most esoteric OS available is ideal for baiting your basic nerd, but some of 'em are also hitting spinners at high tide.